Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a closely related field. All applicants are required to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test and the GRE Mathematics Subject Test. Students whose native language is not English must also submit a minimum TOEFL score of 80 (internet based test) to be considered for admission. The IELTS may be taken instead of the TOEFL, with a required minimum Overall Band score of 7 or higher. The TSE (Test of Spoken English) is also recommended for applicants whose native language is not English. Admission is considered for the Fall quarter only. Our next available admission quarter is Fall 2020, with an application due date of January 2, 2020.
No single criterion prevails, but the faculty admissions committee carefully reviews all of the following: the applicant's undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate grade point averages, which should be strong overall and superior in the major field; letters of recommendation from instructors; scores on the GRE General and Subject tests; and research interests as indicated in the Statement of Purpose.
The following materials must be submitted online at: http://graddiv.ucsb.edu/eapp
- Completed online application
- Official GRE General exam scores
- Official GRE Mathematics Subject exam scores
- Official TOEFL or IELTS exam scores (only for applicants who are not native speakers of English)
- Statement of Purpose
- Statement of Personal Achievements/Contributions
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
- One official copy of transcripts from all institutes of higher learning that you have attended
- List of mathematics courses taken, including descriptions and a reference to the texts used (upload as "other document type" in the Supplemental Documents section of the electronic application)
- US $105 (domestic applications), or $125 (international applications) nonrefundable application fee
Please be aware that we are unable to process applications which do not include all of the above listed application materials. All materials, including the appropriate application fee, must be submitted no later than January 2nd in order to be considered for admission and ANY form of departmental and/or campus-wide financial support.